Water Plant Operator
Nature of the Work
As a Water Plant Operator, responsible for plant operations, which involve water treatment theory/practice, plant equipment operation, maintenance and repair.
· Produce potable water for the City of Greenville.
· Understand water treatment theory/technology and apply that knowledge to the water treatment process/production.
· Operate a water treatment plant which includes:
a) Monitoring of gauges, flow meters, charts, system control computer, etc.
b) Conducting water analysis tests such as hardness, alkalinity, PH, turbidity, chlorine residual, etc., for treatment process control.
c) Determine chemical feed rates and adjust chemical dosages
d) Determine and maintain proper flow rates and in accordance with water consumption demand.
e) Maintain treatment records in accordance with state and federal regulations.
f) Backwash filters as needed.
· Conduct water analysis tests to ensure safety and water quality by collecting representative water samples and testing for contaminants and properties such as color, odor, chlorine levels, nitrification, etc.
· Collect representative water samples to be used by other agencies for water analysis testing for regulation compliance.
· Ensures that plant operations are in compliance with operating guidelines and that treated water is safe and acceptable entering the distribution system.
· Maintains all required records such as operating logs, chemical and repair part inventories, maintenance logs; distributes information to internal and external personnel.
· Performs routine preventative maintenance on plant equipment to include: operating adjustments and calibrations on equipment, basic mechanical and electrical work and cleaning, lubricating and replacing equipment parts.
· Enter confined space areas such as manholes, vaults and reservoirs.
· Perform building and grounds maintenance as needed, including mowing, painting, cleaning, etc.
· Become familiar with plant manuals such as maintenance, treatment and safety.
· Perform other related duties required from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Ability to maintain effective working relationships with a diversified group of people.
· Ability to communicate courteously and professionally to reflect a positive image of City of Greenville and water treatment plant.
· Ability to access and interact with computer control systems.
· Ability to analyze, evaluate, and recommend sound solutions to problems of routine nature.
· Ability to research, interpret, explain and correctly apply policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
· Ability to work independently and efficiently.
· Ability to adjust work schedule to perform necessary duties.
· Ability to handle confidential matters.
· Ability to understand basic math and chemistry and being able to apply the knowledge to the water treatment process.
· Ability to understand mechanical problems and equipment.
· Ability to use common hand tools and other related equipment.
· Must be willing to work day, afternoon, midnight shifts as well as weekends and holidays as needed.
· The Water Treatment Plant Operator is under the general supervision of the Water Treatment Supervisor.
· High School Diploma or Equivalent
· Have or willing to obtain an Illinois Class A Water License
· Self-motivated and willing to work day, afternoon, midnight, weekend or holiday shifts as needed.
Have a Valid Illinois Driver's License
Your application has been successfully submitted.